Thursday, February 18, 2010

A lot of thinking...

So there seems to be a lot of things going on this week that are making me think a lot.
I truly enjoy being challenged and having conversations that make me think and make me have to research the subject.
 On Monday nights I go to house church with 8-10 people and I really enjoy it. We've been reading 1 John lately and the conversation on Monday night became very interesting. We started talking about predestination and salvation and if we believed that God has our life planned out for us already and if we believe that God chose certain people to be saved and not others. This has been something that has been bothering me ever since. I've done a lot of thinking and researching and talking to people about it and I'm continuing to ask people what they believe. I'm not 100% sure what I think yet but I enjoy hearing peoples opinions about different things. I tend to be the type of person that has a hard time looking outside of my point of view and that is why I always ask others for their opinions...to see different perspectives on the subject.
I've been talking with one of my best friends about it a lot and it turns out that her boyfriend is actually researching and doing a study about it right now. She is starting to come around to the idea of believing in predestination salvation and sees going through this now (trying to figure out what she believes and what is right) is a test to prove to God our faith and trust in Him.
I also decided I wanted to find out what a friend of mine thought who has some different beliefs than I do. It was really interesting talking to him. He said that the bible talks about free will but also says "Many are called, but few are chosen"...he says the bible contradicts itself and we have to choose what we believe and what we don't believe. He said that if one believes God has chosen hell for oneself, then one could live as they wanted even though they wouldn't ever truly know for sure if they were predestined for hell or not.
 Another thing that got me thinking was my history class today. We started talking about the government and if they have too much control over our lives. If doing the whole "big brother" thing was wrong...having cameras to take pictures if you run a red light, etc. We also started talking about population control and if the government has the right to only allow us to have 1 or 2 children. To only allow certain people to have children; adults who are sex offenders, mentally retarded, living off of welfare, etc. wouldn't be allowed to have kids. It made me think of a book I read last semester and a play I saw last summer called The Giver. If you haven't read it I would suggest it to you...it's a quick easy read but has a lot of juice to it. It takes place in the future and the people live where the government has control over basically every aspect of their lives. They don't mind it though because they don't know any different.
I would suggest looking into it...
I would love to hear your thoughts on one or both of these subjects so feel free to comment!

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment