Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 1...

You know, I'm kind of getting sick of the idea of having a routine. I just want to be able to do what I want when I want and not have anything holding me back but knowing that I can always come home and my family will be there for me. I'm assuming that this feeling sprouted from today in my Sophomore Seminar: Travel Through Life and Literature class. We took our first test today and one of the questions was about a monologue from the movie Easy Rider.
The monologue was given by George in the last campfire scene and he is talking about freedom.
George and Billy are talking and George tells Billy that many Americans don't want him and Wyatt around because they represent freedom. Billy says "...That's what it's all about" and George responds with "Oh yeah, that's right. That's what it's all about. But talking about it and being it...that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Don't tell anybody that they're not free, because they'll get busy killing and maiming to prove to you that they are. They're going to talk to you and talk to you and talk to you about individual freedom but they see a free individual, it's going to scare them."
I know that if most people didn't live their lives in an orderly way we would have chaos and nothing would get done in our communities but I want to spend some of my time free. I want to travel and come and go as I please. I want to meet people, spend time with them, talk to them, learn their story, their life, learn who they are. I want to see things. Lots of things. Everything.
In that same class we also just finished a book called On The Road by Jack Kerouac. I loved that book and if you haven't read it I would suggest doing so.
Well, approximately twenty more minutes until I'm officially 20 years of age.
Sleep well world.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment